JOSEPH M. SHAPIRO, ESQ.
NJ BANKRUPTCY ATTORNEY
Middlebrooks Shapiro, P.C.
841 Mountain Avenue
Springfield, New Jersey 07081
JOSEPH M. SHAPIRO, ESQ. concentrates his practice in the areas of business and individual reorganization, liquidation, bankruptcy, creditor/debtor rights, and federal and state civil litigation.
As a bankruptcy attorney, Joseph represents both assignees and assignors, and serves as an assignee, in assignments for the benefit of creditors.
Joseph also practices federal, state, and appellate civil litigation, with a focus on adversary proceedings.
Joseph frequently presents continuing legal education (CLE) courses and seminars:
- 2020: co-authored and presented the webcast “Bankruptcy and Workouts in the Wake of the Coronavirus: Solutions for Small and Midsize Businesses to Manage Pandemic Fallout” for the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA).
- 2019 – panelist on the topic of “New Jersey State Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors” at the NJSBA’s 21st Annual Honorable William H. Gindin Bankruptcy Bench Bar Conference in Atlantic City, NJ.
- 2018 and 2019 – co-authored and presented “The Essential Attorney’s Guide to Bankruptcy & Restructuring,” one of the NJSBA’s highest rated legal education programs, in New Brunswick, NJ and Fairfield, NJ.
- 2018 – panelist on the topic of “Creditor Voting in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases” at the NJSBA’s 20th Annual Honorable William H. Gindin Bankruptcy Bench Bar Conference in New Brunswick, NJ.
- 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 – co-authored and presented “Bankruptcy Basics” CLE through the Marino Legal Academy in Newark, NJ.
Joseph teaches business law to undergraduate students as an adjunct professor at Union County College.
In 2019, Joseph was appointed to the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Cannabis Law Committee.
In 2015, Joseph served as a Judge in the New Jersey State Bar Foundation’s High School Mock Trial Competition.
In 2012, Joseph served as a Volunteer Attorney with the Honorable Morris Stern Bankruptcy Pro Bono Project (the Rutgers-Newark Bankruptcy Pro Bono Project).
Between 2010 and 2015, Joseph co-founded and operated a nationwide Chapter 13 bankruptcy trustee payment service, which held a business method patent entitled “Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Trustee Payment System and Method,” and was utilized by Chapter 13 debtors in 45 States.
From 2008 to 2015, Joseph was a Barrister in the New Jersey Bankruptcy Inn of Court.
Between 2005 to 2008, Joseph accepted legal internships with LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton Inc. and Sony BMG Music Entertainment in New York, and served as a research assistant to Professors Carl H. Coleman and Gaia Bernstein.
About Middlebrooks Shapiro
New Jersey Attorney Melinda D. Middlebrooks and Attorney Joseph M. Shapiro have over 30 years of bankruptcy law experience. From our office in Springfield, NJ, we help clients with the most basic or complex personal and business bankruptcy cases by leading them through the legal process of numerous practice areas.
Call 973-218-6877 to speak with the experienced bankruptcy attorneys at Middlebrooks Shapiro. We’ll ensure you get the perspective you need to understand the full picture and the right guidance to have a successful bankruptcy, rebuild your credit, and move forward with your new debt-free life.